EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
While attending an educator’s seminar on MCRD Parris Island with the United States Marines, Rick was faced with a major challenge. As part of his workshop experience he was afforded the opportunity to confront one of his greatest fears – height! Hesitating to rappel down a seven-story tower, Rick was taken aside by a Sergeant Major who said, “You need to overcome your fear! You will never have this opportunity again! Embrace the challenge! If you don’t, it will haunt you the rest of your life!”
Rick embraced it as a belief statement and brought it back to his school district where it has become a mantra utilized by students and staff alike in response to the daily question asked everyday,
“How are you doing? I’M EMBRACING THE CHALLENGE!”
[br] HOW OFTEN DO YOU HEAR THE FOLLOWING?
- I’m too busy putting out fires to lead . . . EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
- My leadership team is exhausted . . . EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
- We don’t have a team, we have a group of individuals and silos . . . EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
- Everyone is looking over their shoulder . . . EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
- No one ever takes time to notice what is being done well, they only focus on the negatives . . . EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
- We need to reconsider our organizational culture…EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE
[br] THINK ABOUT IT.
What is considered impossible to do today, but if it could be done, would fundamentally change and improve the way your organization delivers services?
EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE!
Organizations Rick has worked with:
- Berks County Intermediate Unit
- Greater Berks County Chamber of Commerce
- Girls on the Run
- Governor Mifflin School District
- O’Pake Institute for Leadership, Ethics, and Civil Engagement
- Kutztown University
- Berks County Medical Society Alliance
- Berks Fire Water Restorations, Inc.
- LedgeRock Golf Club